Tuesday, September 22, 2009

is it too much to ask?

I just want to do a little venting here. It's my blog, so I guess I can. I love my children very much. However, I just had one of the most frustrating evenings with them - and I was only with them from 4pm on!!!! Sad!!! It started before we even left 'school' when Lauren pinched Josh for no apparent reason. It then continued in the car when she slugged him, again, for no apparent reason. They tormented each other at the grocery store, even though I got the cart with the car in the front of it so they could "drive" the cart! Of course, all that really did was bother me and everyone around me. Oh, and I forgot to add in Logan's occasional falcon screeches, which I'm sure were entertaining to everyone but me. We get home, Lauren socks Joshua yet AGAIN and gets sent to her room, where she cries the most dramatic cry I've heard in a long time, stomping up the stairs exclaiming with each stomp, "YOU....ARE....SO....MEAN!!" Mmm hmm. The "Falconer Jr." continues his vocal mayhem as Josh repeats, "Mom, mommy, mommy, mom, mama, mama, mommy, mom........." Can anyone say insane assylum??!
I send Lauren over to the neighbor's with a bag of stuff that belongs to them thinking that an errand might do her some good. It seems that sometimes when she feels "responsible" she starts behaving as though she is older than Josh instead of acting like she's 2. I tell her to come back home right away, she can't stay there and play (as I am afraid of her behavior!!) She comes back over and asks very excitedly, "Can I play over there?" I ask her if she was invited and she informs me that she was by her friend's mom who said it was okay if she comes inside to play. These are her words, not mine. Some sort of instinct inside of me thinks that this just might not be the case, so I decide to walk over with her to find out. As we are walking out the door I inform her that if she is lying to me, she will be in big trouble (she got caught in a lie last night). So, we get next door and my neighbor tells me that she told Lauren she COULDN'T play inside because the neighbor friend was in trouble. HMMMM....REALLY?!?! ARRRGH!!!!!!
So, you get the picture. And that was all before dinner!! What it comes down to is this -

As a mom, I just want to know is it too much to ask that:
-my kids not lie to me?
-I not be asked literally 15 times what is for dinner?
-I not be required to repeat "stop hitting your brother" a gazillion times in one stinking day?
-I be able to have a two-minute conversation with the neighbor while we are on a walk to get the mail without my daughter continuously squeezing her baby brother's cheeks seemingly just to get my attention?
-We get through one day without me hearing "My tummy hurts" - the indiscriminate tummy ache has got me baffled.
-Tattling be abolished?
-I have just one son that is not constantly committed to mimicking a falcon or a velociraptor?

Again, ARRGHHH!!!!

It really isn't bad and it could be terribly worse.

I know I'm incredibly lucky to have three healthy, beautiful children.

I really do realize this and I don't take it for granted.

Just some days are......arrghhh!!!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

You made me laugh really hard, and I totally needed it. I guess everyone who has children can feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

and this my friend, is why God created blogs. :) I have yet to experience the 'trauma' you are experiencing now, but if it is any consolation... I do remember those being the same complaints that my mother had when I was a child. Minus the 'Falcon', of course! :) Things will be better tomorrow, after a deep breath and a good nights sleep!

Meg said...

I second that!! :) (No falcon at our house, but Sam just started screaming. And my 2 year old loves to literally lay on his baby brother. Ugh.)