Friday, March 20, 2009

Grade F

Today has been a difficult day. I feel as though I am failing my children by being an ineffective parent. We had visitors over this morning and I was so embarrassed of Lauren's behavior. Things started out fine, but took a turn (as they ALWAYS do). Lauren would not listen to her friend when her friend was telling her to stop, I had to intervene and it got ugly. Needless to say, Lauren was sent to her room until she could calm down. I felt like I needed a time-out, too. Then when it came time for our visitors to leave, Lauren exlaimed how she wanted to go to their house to play. Now, I think her friend was all to eager to go home (I would have been!!). When I explained that we would be eating lunch here as our friends had things they had to do, she pulled out the "BUT I WAAAAAAAANT TO!!!!!" Now, never, ever in my wildest dreams (or nightmares) had I imagined I would have a child that would behave so spoiled and bratty. I thought that would be nipped in the bud immediately, period. Apparently not. I was left speechless and embarrassed. After our visitors left I tried talking to Lauren. I do not feel like I reach her.
I understand that these things will happen, that my children will not always behave in the way I want them to. But the thing I struggle with is this: If this is my job ('cause let's face it, the lawyer thing ain't exactly a full -time gig) and this behavior is the result of the job I'm doing as a parent......shouldn't I be fired? And since I don't live in never-never land where firing myself is an option, then what?

1 comment:

Meg said...

Don't beat yourself up! We should talk... I feel similar feelings about my parenting to my 4 1/2 year old Vincent. I just started reading Parent Power... so far so good. I'll let you know what I think. Keep your chin up!