Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the ups and the downs

Today was an overall really good day with the kids. All three of them had their moments (as did I), but I think that we all pulled together and are ending the day on a good note. Lauren's behavior has improved......slowly. We are working together and wading our way through these waters.
I climbed the ranks on Lauren's "list" today. First, she told me that she loved me. Then, she told me that I was invited to her birthday party. THEN, she told me that I could have beautiful sparkly princess stickers AT her birthday party. And finally, she told me that I was her bestest friend. : )
I have come to realize that raising kids was WAY easier before I actually had them! I was talking with a friend the other night about the show "Supernanny." Brian and I watch that show almost every Friday night either to make ourselves feel better because that's not us, or to get pointers because it is us! Either way, I'm convinced Nanny Jo has no children. Someone please tell me if they know otherwise. Before I had kids, having been trained in early childhood development and guidance, it was easier for me to see behaviors in children and pinpoint the pattern that was causing these behaviors to continue. Then I had my babies and the overpowering emotions that accompanied that - love, disappointment, pure happiness, amazement, elation, expectation, hurt and everything in between- has since clouded everything up! My black and white world of child development is now not only gray, but several different shades of gray.
Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting.....right?!
I wouldn't trade my gray world for the black and white one because I wouldn't trade the overpowering love that I have for my kids. Plus, I would miss out on the beautiful sparkly princess stickers that I'm getting at my sweet little Lauren's birthday party. In July. : )

1 comment:

Stephanie Balvin said...

I agree with you on the nanny not having kids. Plus, she gets to leave after a week of giving advice. I think I could do that job at someone else's house that I didn't need to clean or cook or anything else in between.
I agree that it's the emotions that get in the way of parenting "properly". You are doing a GREAT job, hang in there, we are in it together!