Tuesday, June 12, 2012

playdates can be a lifesaver

It's amazing to me how there are times when a house full of seven kids is much less work than a house with just my four.  This afternoon my kids had their friends from next door over.  I made them all lunch, they played outside, played the Wii, played with toys, and watched part of a movie.

Now, these kids have known each other for almost five years - they are more like siblings than neighbors, so every get together does not go this smooth : )  However, today was one of those days when the stars aligned and I was able to bake cookies, some bars and clean up my kitchen all while having seven kids in my house.  And I was able to enjoy them playing and capture conversations like this: 

Lauren and her friend were playing a baseball game on the Wii -

Izzy:  I can't hit homeruns as good as you, Lauren.
Lauren:  You're doing a good job, Izzy.  I practice a lot. 
Me:  Izzy, how do you get better at something?
Izzy:  You have to practice.
Me.  Exactly!
Lauren:  Yeah, like I don't draw hearts as good as you do, so I have to keep practicing. 

Love conversations like those : ) 

Moral of the story:  Playdates can save the day.  At least for today!

No comments: