Thursday, May 13, 2010

the best mother's day weekend

I simply had the BEST Mother's day weekend. On Friday, a dear friend of mine, Jana and I stayed at the Hilton in Minneapolis. I have known Jana since middle school and she was my college roommate. The Hilton was offering a Macy's Mother's Day special and us mom's decided that was just what we needed - some mom time together! We went to Minneapolis and had the best time! We have not had the opportunity to spend time together really since our kids have been born, at least not like this and it was so fabulous!! We went out to eat at the Rock Bottom Brewery and then went dancing. It was F-U-N!! We ordered pizza at 3am and it felt just like it did back in college. However, in college we did that Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. I think my body is still recovering from last Friday night! But it was so worth it! We laughed, we vented, we sought advice, we listened, we relaxed and we had a blast. And for me, it just felt good to be Megan - not mom, not wife, not lawyer, not community member, not problem-solver, not any other role. Just me. All of those roles make me who I am, however, "I" was my focus on Friday and I don't remember the last time that happened. Me and my friend. And that was all I needed.

I'm thinking we should make it a semi-annual event......like a half-Mother's day the second weekend in November.

On Saturday, it was so good to see Brian and the kids and they surprised me with roses! : ) I missed them even though I enjoyed my "me" time. After dinner, I turned on the Mama Mia soundtrack and the three kids danced their little hearts out! It was so great to see them all three dancing together and Logan's squealy laughter as Lauren and Josh grabbed his hands and they all turned around in a circle only to fall down. And then repeat. And repeat again and again for about an hour! It was so fun and it brought tears to my eyes thinking about what gifts they are. Through all the poopy diapers, vomit, runny noses, back-talk, crying, disciplining and constant repeating, that moment watching my three children dancing together and having a grand old time is what makes all the other stuff so worth it!

On Sunday my parents came up for brunch. It was so good to see them and be with my mom on Mother's Day. My mom and I exchanged hanging flower baskets - neither one of us knowing that's what the other had gotten and mine is beautiful! I love it! Hopefully I can keep it alive. I don't have a great track records of keeping plants alive. We enjoyed brunch and then just spent time together. Then Lauren and I were off to Stars on Ice at the Excel Center in St. Paul. Lauren's only concern was that she would have to get on the ice. I assured her that she would not have to ice skate. Can you tell she looooves skating?! We arrived and her eyes were as big as saucers looking at all the lights and hearing all the sounds. The show started and the man sitting directly behind me was really into the show as he would loudly shout out after each high jump and other accomplishment. This would send Lauren's head whipping around and every time she would say, "Mommy, why is that man yelling at the skaters?" This happened about twenty times. She told me later that it scared her that he was yelling like that. Understandable - it was definately startling. Jana, her mom and her daugher were also at the show so we met up with them during the intermission. Lauren and Makenna became fast friends and were sitting together about three rows in front of us. Jana and I watched them dance and giggle. It was so funny! On the way home, Lauren said to me, "Makenna is my best friend and we like to dance."

Like mothers, like daughters....

A very special thank you to my wonderful husband who took on the first overnight alone with the kids. Thank you for unequivocally telling me to go, have fun and that you and the kids would be fine. You were and I never doubted it for a second!

No comments: