Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Color Code

I was doing some color matching activities with Josh this morning. He is learning colors. Here is an exchange that I had with him the other day. It is SO very on point as to where he is at with his personality these days:

Josh: (holding up a yellow marker) Mama, it's yellow.
Me: Yes, Josh! Good job! You're right, it is yellow.
Josh: It's green?
Me: Well, no. It's yellow. You were right the first time.
Josh: NO! IT'S GREEN!

Josh is caught between being two and just being stubborn as a personality trait. He comes by it honestly! Anyways, going over the colors with Josh this morning reminded me of when Lauren was learning her colors. She actually associated colors with people. Here is the rundown of what everyone's color was:

Lauren: Pink or Red (of course!)
Daddy: Blue
Mommy: Yellow
Grandma Marcia: Green
Grandpa Smiley: Brown
Grandma Jane: Orange
Josh: Purple

I think Grandpa Larry also had a color, but I can't quite remember what it was. Anyways, this was Lauren's color palette. When she would see something, anything of a certain color, she would say, "Mommy, look, it's Daddy" or whatever color fit with that particular name. And she NEVER mixed them up. It was really interesting the way she associated colors. I had to explain this to her teachers as one day when I dropped her off for breakfast, she sat herself down on two yellow chairs at once and exclaimed, "Mommy, look, I have two mommies!!" I figured that it was time to let them in on Lauren's color code! Don't need them wondering what strange things are goin' on at the Kraby house!!

It was a very creative code she came up with. Sometimes, I miss her color code. I guess it is just an example of how time marches on.......

No comments: